Adolescent Drug and Alcohol Outpatient Treatment
Intensive Outpatient IOP and Day Rehab PHP
Evidence-based, Whole Person Addiction Recovery
Teen Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- Sacramento Teen Outpatient Rehab Treatment
- COVID-19 Social Distancing Creating Adolescent Stress
- Teen Mindfulness Training for Stress and Anxiety
- The Many Benefits of Mindfulness
- Social Isolation and Loneliness Affects Adolescent Mental Health
- Signs of Teen Drug Use
- Teen Substance Abuse Facts
- Jon Daily’s Addiction Advocacy Work in the Sacramento Area
- Looking for a Teen Outpatient Rehab Location ‘Near Me’?
- Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs
Sacramento Teen Outpatient Rehab Treatment
COVID-19 Social Distancing Creating Adolescent Stress
There’s no question that the pandemic has been hard on children, whether or not their schools have reopened. A flood of research in recent months has found alarming spikes in depression and anxiety among children and their parents.Remote students are more stressed than their peers in the classroom, study shows
With COVID-19 stay at home restrictions in place – isolation increases the risk for depression and anxiety in teens (and adults).
The educational resources available on the internet in 2021 for learning at home are amazing. Unfortunately – there are also many less savory areas of the internet available; including the Dark Web.
Teen Mindfulness Training for Stress and Anxiety
We all know now that learning Mindfulness techniques can help individuals better manage stress, anxiety and more.
The teen outpatient substance abuse treatment programs at Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs include Mindfulness Training.
According to a practice review published in 2010 by the APA (American Psychological Association), What Are the Benefits of Mindfulness? – the practice of mindfulness has multiple benefits in mood regulation, stress reduction and self awareness.
Studies have also shown that alterations in brain and immune function are produced by mindfulness meditation.
With mindfulness practice, new neural networks are created in the brain. Mindfulness meditation is associated with structural changes in areas of the brain that are important for sensory, cognitive and emotional processing.
The Many Benefits of Mindfulness
Emotional resilience, mental focus and stress reduction are some of the many benefits of Mindfulness. Mindfulness Training is a core element in substance abuse programs at Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs.
- Reduced Rumination – Several studies have shown that mindfulness reduces obsessive thoughts.
- Stress reduction – Many studies show that practicing mindfulness reduces stress.
- Boosts to working memory – Improvements to working memory appear to be another benefit of mindfulness.
- Focus – Another study examined how mindfulness meditation affected participants’ ability to focus attention and suppress distracting information. Mindfulness meditation practice and self-reported mindfulness were correlated directly with cognitive flexibility and attentional functioning (Moore and Malinowski, 2009).
- Less Emotional Reactivity – Research also supports that mindfulness meditation decreases emotional reactivity. This results in being able to ‘catch’ habitual reactions before it becomes an action.
- More Cognitive Flexibility – Another line of research suggests that in addition to helping people become less reactive, mindfulness meditation may also provide greater cognitive flexibility to avoid habitual behaviors.
→ One study found that people who practice mindfulness meditation appear to develop the skill of self-observation, which neurologically disengages the automatic pathways that were created by prior learning and enables present-moment input to be integrated in a new way (Mindfulness Training and Neural Integration, Siegel, 2007a).
- Increased Emotional Resilience – Meditation also activates the brain region associated with more adaptive responses to stressful or negative situations (Cahn & Polich, 2006; Davidson et al., 2003). Activation of this region corresponds with faster recovery to baseline after being negatively provoked (Davis and Hayes, What Are the Benefits of Mindfulness).
Social Isolation and Loneliness Affects Adolescent Mental Health
“Children and adolescents are more likely to experience high rates of depression and anxiety during isolation; and after enforced isolation ends. Clinical services should offer preventive support and early intervention where possible; and be prepared for an increase in mental health problems.”Rapid Systematic Review: The Impact of Social Isolation and Loneliness on the Mental Health of Children and Adolescents in the Context of COVID-19
Data from the Centers for Disease Control show that substance use has increased among all age groups during the pandemic.
If you discover your child is using drugs or alcohol – even if you believe it is their first use – seek drug education and counseling for both of you.
The impact of COVID-19 and lockdown on mental health of adolescents is serious. Some teens are profoundly depressed while others experience ongoing anxiety. And some adolescents trend into despair – and use alcohol or drugs to cope.
Fortunately, help is available.
Signs of Teen Drug Use
Especially now during extended social distancing, parents should be attentive to warning signs of stress and possible substance use by teens.
Possible signs of teen substance use include:
- Increased secretive behavior
- Shifts in personality (e.g., silent, increased mood changes)
- Changes in appearance (e.g., poor hygiene, different odors on clothes).
While stress manifests differently in each teenager, it is important to watch for any behavior changes that may include:
- Excessive worrying or sadness
- Unhealthy eating or sleeping habits
- Difficulty with concentration
- Unexplained headaches or body pains.
Parents should do their best in ensuring that all caregivers in the household cope with COVID-19 in a calm and confident manner to provide support for the teen.
Teen Substance Abuse Facts
- In the United States, children are likely to encounter drug use for the first time around the age of 12 – 13. A Day in the Life of American Adolescents: Substance Use Facts Update
- Research shows that young people who begin drinking before age 15 are four times more likely to develop alcohol dependence than those who begin drinking at age 21. Underage Drinking
- Studies suggest that the younger an individual is at the onset of substance use, the greater the likelihood that a substance abuse disorder will develop and continue into adulthood. Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide
- Between the ages of 12 to 20, the rates of past-month use more than double for alcohol and tobacco, and more than triple for marijuana. Results from the 2018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health
- More than 50 percent of 12th graders have tried an illicit drug, and one in four is a current user. Trends in Prevalence of Various Drugs for 8th Graders, 10th Graders, and 12th Graders; 2017 – 2020
Jon Daily’s Addiction Advocacy Work in the Sacramento Area
Jon was an expert in the specialized field of adolescent substance abuse treatment.
He founded Recovery Happens Counseling Services for outpatient treatment of adolescents, young adults and their families experiencing substance use and dual diagnosis issues.
Jon Daily’s addiction treatment advocacy in the local Sacramento area brought him to the attention of the addiction treatment community. He was the recipient of many awards for his work, including: Harold Cole Award, Miracle Award, Sacramento Valley Psychological Association Community Award, The Piece of the Puzzle Award, and the CCAPP VIP Award.
Jon’s desire was that his work in adolescent substance abuse would continue. His goal was that casualties in America’s war on drugs would find healing, peace, and wellness – just as he did.
The Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs team is devoted to seeing Jon Daily’s Legacy live on as we continue to provide high-quality addiction treatment, training, and advocacy.
Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs
Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs works with adolescents and adults in all stages of alcohol and substance use – from experimentation to addiction.
Our commitment is to work closely with the individual and family to help the client become drug free. Then, the goal is to discover and treat the underlying issues which supported the emotional dysregulation and addiction.
For more information on Jon Daily’s addiction treatment work, see Jon Daily – Recovery Happens Founders Legacy.
Looking for a Teen Outpatient Rehab Location ‘Near Me’?
Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehabs
Locations in Sacramento and the Bay Area
Northern California Evidence-Based
Trauma Informed Whole Person Addiction Recovery
We are all in this together!
We are dedicated to helping those in need.
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Walnut Creek, San Rafael, Sacramento, Fair Oaks, Roseville, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other Northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
• New Start Recovery Solutions is a VA Community Care Provider; in-network with TriWest.
• Our trauma-informed dual diagnosis treatment is effective for PTSD, depression, anxiety and more.
• Military and Veteran PTSD treatment programs.
• Bay Area and Sacramento Adolescent Outpatient Addiction Treatment Programs
We thank all the essential workers that continue to assist in these times!
We recognize the importance of continuing to serve our clients.