Northern California Dual Diagnosis Treatment
(Co-occurring Disorders) Addiction Recovery Treatment
What is Dual Diagnosis (Co-occurring Disorders)?
The term is called Dual Diagnosis or Co-occurring Disorders. This means the individual has a combination of mental disorders (such as depression, anxiety, trauma, etc.) and addiction (to drugs or alcohol.)
If you think you may be suffering from addiction, as well as PTSD, depression, trauma or other mental health issue (dual diagnosis) – please know that seeking help is the first step to addiction recovery and regaining control of your life.
Dual Diagnosis Trauma-Informed Addiction Treatment for First Responders and Veterans
New Start Recovery Solutions has very successful dual diagnosis addiction rehab programs for first responders (including police, medical and fire personnel), military veterans – and for anyone experiencing trauma and/or PTSD.
Taking care of mental health is as important as managing physical health. Most everyone is aware that the physical demands of being a first responder can be enormous. Being a first responder to emergency situations also has an impact on the mental well-being of emergency personnel.
First Responders, Active Military and Veterans Routinely Experience:
- The stress of not being able to save everyone.
- Witnessing the extent of serious injuries.
- The stress of not successfully defusing a dispute resulting in injury; or in not avoiding combat.
- The stress of being in ‘live fire’ or active combat situations.
- All these factors take a emotional, physical and mental toll. Individuals experiencing similar situations are at high risk for developing PTSD, anxiety disorders and functional (high functioning) addiction.
Custom Personalized Addiction Treatment Programs
Our addiction recovery philosophy uses an integrative, whole person approach to addiction treatment. Our holistic therapies include mindfulness, yoga and trauma-informed cognitive behavioral therapies. We use Conscious Recovery and Mindfulness to treat the Whole Person.
Our goal is to assist our clients in bringing their lives – body, mind and spirit – into a state of balance and wellness.
Our successful addiction treatment programs are customized to each individual. We believe that addiction is a complex but treatable disease – and that a ‘universal’ addiction treatment program is not appropriate for everyone.
Key to Lasting Recovery:
Treat Addiction and the Mental Health Disorder
According to SAMSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Heath Services Administration), regarding co-occurring disorders:
“An important key to a successful recovery is treating both the mental heath disorder and the drug addiction at the same time.”
Individuals with mental health disorders are more likely to experience an alcohol or substance use disorder. Co-occurring disorders can be difficult to diagnose due to the complexity of symptoms. In many cases, people receive treatment for one disorder while the substance abuse remains untreated.
How Often is Dual Diagnosis a Factor in Addiction Treatment?
According to a 2014 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 7.9 million people in the U.S. experience both a mental disorder and substance use disorder simultaneously. More than half of those people are men.
Because many combinations of dual diagnosis can occur, the symptoms can vary widely. Our addiction treatment centers use alcohol and drug screening tools to help identify individuals at risk for drug and alcohol abuse.
Symptoms of a mental health condition are unique to each individual.
Warning signs of mental health issues can include:
Extreme mood changes
Avoiding friends and social activities
Thoughts of suicide
If any of these mental health condition warning signs are present – this can be an urgent reason to seek help.
Evidence Based, Individualized Addiction Treatment Programs
The best treatment for dual diagnosis is integrated treatment: The individual receives care for both their diagnosed mental illness and substance abuse.
New Start Recovery Solutions uses an individualized, evidence-based treatment program that is developed based on levels of drug use and depression (or other co-occurring disorder).
Not everyone is the same – and addiction treatment should not be the same either.
Our staff looks at each person’s unique history and creates an addiction treatment program that meets specific needs of the individual.
A call to our addiction hotline to discuss your situation gets you started – and we will take care of the rest. We call and work with your insurance company for you.
Elements of an Effective Dual Diagnosis Addiction Treatment Plan
Treatment planning will not be the same for everyone. Below, some of the common methods used as part of our addiction treatment plans.
- Detox – Don’t let the fear of withdrawal keep you trapped in addiction. The compassionate staff from New Start Recovery Solutions helps you regain control of your life with our medical detox programs for alcohol and drugs.
- Residential Inpatient Addiction Treatment – We use evidence-based addiction treatments and holistic therapies – all within a safe and supportive environment.
- Outpatient Addiction Treatment – PHP and IOP with the award-winning Recovery Happens Outpatient Rehab Programs.
- Supportive Housing – Transitional living.
- Psychotherapy is usually a large part of an effective dual diagnosis treatment plan. In particular, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps people with dual diagnosis learn how to cope and change ineffective patterns of thinking and reducing habitual behaviors and triggers.
- Medications are often useful for treating mental illnesses. Certain medications can also help people ease withdrawal symptoms during the detoxification process and promote recovery.
- MAT Treatment for Opioid Abuse – New Start Recovery Solutions uses MAT Medication Assisted Treatment for patients in opioid recovery. M.A.T. Medication Assisted Treatment is the Gold Standard treatment for opioid addiction.
- Self-Help and Support Groups – Dealing with a dual diagnosis can feel challenging and isolating. New Start Recovery Solutions aftercare and alumni groups allow members to share frustrations and celebrate successes. Support groups also provide a space for forming healthy friendships filled with encouragement to stay clean.
Northern California Premier Dual Diagnosis Rehab Treatment
New Start Recovery Solutions | Recovery Happens Counseling Services
Confidential Consultations, Questions or Admissions
We are dedicated to helping those in need.
We Work with EAP and Union Programs and Accept Most Insurance
Kaiser Preferred Provider
VA Community Care Provider In-Network with TriWest
We also work out of network with most PPO insurance.
Please Note: We cannot accept Medicare, Medicaid or Medi-Cal.
We Work With:
∙ Union and EAP Programs
∙ VA Community Care Provider
∙ In-network with TriWest