Thanks to All Who Supported our
Substance Abuse Challenge at UC Davis Give Day 2021!
UC Davis Center for Neuroscience
Substance Abuse Research Program
During UC Davis Give Day 2021 – over $81,000 was donated towards Neuroscience Research.
New Start Recovery Solutions has a long standing and continuing interest in the neurobiology of addiction.
UC Davis Center for Neuroscience – Thanks for the Support!
Importance of Addiction Research
Substance Use Disorder SUD (addiction) is the fastest-growing health and well-being threat in western society.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that the total “economic burden” of prescription opioid misuse alone in the United States is $78.5 billion a year; including the costs of healthcare, lost productivity, addiction treatment, and criminal justice involvement.
- Every day in the US more than 125 people die of an opioid overdose.
- An estimated 15 million people struggle with an alcohol use disorder in the United States, but less than 10% of them receive treatment.
Despite these alarming statistics, not a single pharmaceutical company is pursuing therapeutics to intervene in SUDs. Currently, the only therapeutics designed to treat addiction either:
1. Block the rewarding effects of drugs and show poor compliance (e.g., naltrexone for alcoholism) or,
2. Use a less “dangerous” drug as a substitute (e.g. methadone/buprenorphine for opioid abuse).
The Substance Abuse Research Program at the Center for Neuroscience UC Davis supports a new approach to team science and research in substance use disorders.
Dr. Jennifer Whistler: On the Search for Safer Opioids
Our research emphasizes the relevance of memory, decision making, brain development and co-morbid neurological disorders to addiction. We seek to translate our findings into a new therapeutic development pipeline to treat SUDs.
Led by Professor and Associate Director Jennifer Whistler, the Substance Abuse Research Program is using neuroscience to identify circuits that have been “rewired” in the addicted brain. And works to understand the structural and activity changes associated with the disease. The Substance Abuse Research Program aims to make substantial discoveries to inform new treatments and therapies to improve individual and public health.
Working with Center for Neuroscience director Kim McAllister, Dr. Whistler hopes to create a shared vision for the center’s faculty and researchers who come from disciplines across the field of brain science.
“People here are studying many things that might be relevant to addiction, like decision-making and early brain development,” Whistler said. “My goal is to connect the dots and build a program in addiction biology that spans many disciplines and brings new talent into this field.”
Thanks for All Who Supported UC Davis Give Day 2021!
We are all in this together!
We are dedicated to helping those in need.
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, San Rafael, Monterey, Sacramento, Fair Oaks, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other Northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
• New Start Recovery Solutions is a VA Community Care Provider; in-network with TriWest.
• Our trauma-informed dual diagnosis treatment is effective for PTSD, depression, anxiety and more.
We thank all the essential workers that continue to assist in these times!
We recognize the importance of continuing to serve our clients.