Resources COVID-19 WFH Homeschooling Families
Stress Relief for Families Schooling at Home
In This Page:
As a part of our Family Recovery Program – New Start Recovery Solutions is sharing these basic resources for homeschooling during COVID-19.
The Reluctant Homeschooling Family
Step 1: Don’t Panic!
The Good News: You are NOT ALONE.
Relax! Help is Available – Your Kids Will Learn
Due to COVID-19 concerns about illness, school delays and closures – many families have become reluctant homeschooling families. Just the idea of being in charge of the education of their child or children generates a huge amount of stress for most families.
Distance Learning is a viable alternative to traditional school – and homeschooling is well established in California.
There are Resources to Help!
There is no need to stress or try to ‘reinvent the wheel’!
Fortunately, there are many strong and thriving homeschooling groups and co-ops in California that are dedicated to helping and working with homeschooling families.
Although your family may not be planning to homeschool forever – your journey will be made easier by using the resources and knowledge accumulated by those who have been homeschooling for many years.
While schooling at home (homeschooling) is not a choice that many parents would make on their own – it is manageable.
And eventually, it can be enjoyable (really!).
Advantage of Homeschooling
Many parents choose homeschooling because they are not happy with their child’s school district and/or the curriculum used.
For students whose learning styles do not fit well into traditional schools – homeschooling is very helpful.
And it is an increasingly popular alternative.
Learning Styles – Applied Learning
“If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
There is no doubt that some children learn better by doing. And some children learn best when active. Others need to be engaged with a project using the information to be learned.
If educating your child at home – there will be opportunities to engage the child in self-directed learning.
Example: Your child learns fractions better by baking a cake; or constructing a carpentry project.
- The Homeschool Association of California HSC – Extensive resources on the website; including events.
- North State Parent – California the homeschooling Friendly State
- Time4Learning, Homeschooling in California
- California – State Homeschooling Associations
- California Local Homeschooling Groups and Co-ops
- California Charter Schooling for Homeschooling: Inspire Charter School, ILEAD, Sky Mountain.
- CDC Resource for talking to kids about coronavirus.
- For ideas for family fun that do not involve interacting with people: 250+ Creative Ways to Keep Your Family Sane During the COVID-19 Crisis.
K-4 Activities – No Cost or Low Cost
- Oak Meadow’s Pinterest: The Oak Meadow School Pinterest page is full of seasonal activities, recipes, and fun that children of all ages can enjoy.
- Living Education: our free online journal includes great articles on homeschooling and parenting as well as curriculum activities and crafts.
- Oak Meadow Curriculum Samples: Our curriculum samples each contain several weeks worth of lessons and can serve as an educational supplement for families awaiting long term plans from their schools.
- Citrus Bird Feeder:spring activity great for all ages! Aid in the seasonal observation of bird and attract them to your home with this simple citrus bird feeder.
- Cyberchase – elementary math videos.
- Dinosaur-Themed Craft Activities:Is there anything more fun than dinosaur crafts? Channel your inner archaeologist, and get ready to explore the wide world of dinosaur craft activities.
- Paper Marbling Craft:Paper marbling, an activity in our 6th Grade Ancient Civilizations course, is a beautiful craft activity that unleashes your child’s creativity.
- Oak Meadow Circle Time Songs– on Spotify
Middle School and High School Activities – No Cost or Low Cost
- Khan Academy – Anyone can learn anything. For free. Despite being a free service, Khan’s online education for K-12 grades is unparalleled.
- Wide Open School – New and improved tips to support learning from home. Resources for families and for educators.
- Wait – But Why? – Mix of informative and humorous articles; making topics like the Fermi Paradox (what?) approachable.
- Outschool – Live Online Classes and Camps. Explore any interest over live video chat! Discover fun, social, and safe learning experiences for kids ages 3-18 led by passionate teachers. Classes from $10. Outschool is committed to supporting those affected by closures in the wake of COVID-19. Browse our free schooling resources for educators, families, and learners.
- Outschool FREE Classes for Families Affected by U.S. Public School Closures – We are making $1,000,000 worth of classes available for free to families in the U.S. who have been impacted by school closures and are facing financial hardship.
- Project Gutenberg – Resource for public domain works, most library systems have ebooks available for loan.
- Exploratorium – online science activities.
- Duolingo – language learning app – free.
- Brilliant.org – math and science problems for high schoolers.
No Stress Homeschooling Tips
Surprise! You’re Homeschooling! Here are some tips
By Debra Ross, publisher, KidsOutAndAbout.com and former homeschooler of two young adults
“Whether due to COVID-19 or some other unforeseen event, families may find themselves suddenly in the position of educating their kids at home. This can seem daunting or even overwhelming. Here are some strategies to help your family survive, and perhaps even thrive, in this situation.”
Homeschooling: How ‘regular school’ parents can homeschool their kids
From CNN.com Health – Invaluable tips for the COVID-19 new homeschooling family.
“Home Schooling Answers is brought to you by veteran homeschool professional educators from non-profit iLEAD Schools and Maker Learning Network.
The resources at Home Schooling Answers are carefully curated for the parent who needs support fast and is created to be a simplified way to design your homeschooling journey and begin today. We will be regularly adding to and updating the site with new resources during the pandemic.”
Homeschooling 101 – Getting Started
Transition For Families
“If you are on this page, chances are you are new to homeschooling because current circumstances left you no choice. You may also have kids in different grades, and you might be working remotely. If you are overwhelmed, it just means you’re normal.”
Confidential Consultations, Questions or Admissions
We are dedicated to helping those in need.
We Work with EAP and Union Programs and Accept Most Insurance
Kaiser Preferred Provider
VA Community Care Provider In-Network with TriWest
We also work out of network with most PPO insurance.
Please Note: We cannot accept Medicare, Medicaid or Medi-Cal.
We Work With:
∙ Union and EAP Programs
∙ VA Community Care Provider
∙ In-network with TriWest
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness for Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies.
• Our holistic therapies include CBT, DBT, Brainspotting, Conscious Recovery, yoga and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, San Rafael, Monterey, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other Northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
• New Start Recovery Solutions is a VA Community Care Provider; in-network with TriWest.
• Our trauma-informed dual diagnosis treatment is effective for PTSD, depression, anxiety and more.
• Military and Veteran PTSD Treatment Programs – Residential and Outpatient.
• Treatment Programs for First Responders, Union Members and Professionals.
Please call our Admissions at 866-303-6275 for more information.
Or feel welcome to Contact Us.