Mindfulness Stress Relief and Relapse Prevention
Emotional Stability, Resilience and Hope
Reducing Fear and Stress Habitual Reactions
You must DO the things YOU THINK you cannot do. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
And yet – there are some things that can be done to change personal experience of the coronavirus lockdown. While fear, stress and panic are the first reactions to new, dangerous and stressful situations – panic, fear and stress are not the only possible reactions.
Mindfulness, Stoicism and Inner Balance
We are in the habit of exaggerating, or imagining, or anticipating, sorrow. You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this and you will find strength. ~ Seneca
Many think of the philosophy of Stoicism as meaning ‘no emotion’.
However, stoicism has a lot in common with Mindfulness. And in this time of sickness and uncertainty – the combination of Mindfulness and Stoicism may be just what is needed.
Stoicism doesn’t concern itself with complicated theories about the world. Stoicism encourages us to overcome destructive emotions. And to act on what can be acted upon.
Stoicism is built for action, not endless debate.
The single most important practice in Stoic philosophy is differentiating between what we can change and what we can’t. And, what we have influence over; and what we do not.
Findings from studies suggest that over the course of meditating – long-term practitioners of meditation actually altered the structure and function of their brains, ‘Neuroplasticity and Meditation’.
Below, some instructions to get started in the practice of mindfulness.
- Stop what you are doing. If you need to excuse yourself and walk away to another room or outside – do it.
- Breathe deeply and hold the breath as long as you can. ‘Watch’ your breath. That is: concentrate on breathing as if this is your only activity in the world. And for now, it is.
- Slowly release the breathe. Breathe in slowly and again hold the breath.
- Repeat concentration on slow breathing for 1-2 minutes.
- When it feels comfortable – listen. Just…listen. If you are outside, hear the wind moving in the trees. Notice birdsong or even car noise. Just listen to sounds in your surroundings without making a good/bad judgement.
- The combination of centering by concentrating on the breath and listening to surroundings without involvement – will bring you back to your ‘center’.
- Our center is the place where we can just ‘be’ for a few moments, without any judgement. This is who we really are.
- Centering works to ‘break’ the connection with physical and emotional stress. It returns us to a place of inner peace.
- If an unsettled state of mind cannot be brought back into perspective through this mindfulness exercise – mindfully walk or do something else for a few minutes.
- Repeat Steps 2-5. Inner balance and calm are critical factors to implement during times of severe stress.
East Bay Medical Detox and SUD Rehab Admissions 24/7
• Addiction Never Takes Time Off – and Neither Do We •
Medical Detox Northern California
Medical Detox is the first step to regaining sobriety – and the importance cannot be underestimated. Recovery support begins with detox from drugs and alcohol.
In most cases, we can arrange for same day admissions.
New Start Recovery Solutions has 24/7 medical supervision during detox. Our medical detox program helps individuals through physical withdrawal symptoms and provides the medical assistance needed during this rough time.
East Bay, Sacramento and Central Coast Dual Diagnosis Residential Rehabs
We also have dual diagnosis Outpatient Treatment for adolescents 12+ and Adults.
Dual Diagnosis or Co-occurring Disorders is a term for people who have both a mental health issue (such as PTSD, depression, trauma, anxiety) and an addiction problem (substance use disorder, or SUD).
Individuals rarely want to take the time needed for residential rehab and addiction recovery. It is easy to use career or other obligations as a reason to avoid getting help.
However, the best chance for recovery is a permanent change in habitual behaviors. Time, education and therapy are required to make permanent behavioral changes.
If you think you may be suffering from a substance use disorder – as well as PTSD, depression, anxiety, trauma or other mental illness (dual diagnosis) – please know that seeking help is the first step to addiction recovery and regaining control of your life.
The eventual outcome of an escalating addiction
will take a lot longer to sort out than taking a few weeks off for rehab.
Northern California Trauma-Informed Dual Diagnosis Rehabs
New Start Recovery Solutions Addiction Treatment Programs Available
• Medically Managed Detoxification
• IOP and PHP Outpatient Services – Adolescents 12+ and Adults
• Men & Women ages 18+ for Residential Rehabs
• 24-hour on-site monitoring
• Residential Inpatient Rehab Treatment
• Whole Person Evidence-based Recovery
• Medication-Assisted Treatment MAT for Opioid Addiction
• Telehealth Virtual IOP Intensive Outpatient Program
• Family Program and Counseling
• Intervention and Crisis Intervention
• Nutrition and Wellness Programs
• Relapse Prevention and Mindfulness for Recovery
• Dual Diagnosis Treatment (Our Specialty)
• PHP ‘Day Program’ Partial Hospitalization Program
• IOP Intensive Outpatient Treatment
• Outpatient Primary Mental Health Therapy
• Veteran/Military PTSD Dual Diagnosis Rehab
• VA Community Care Provider
• TriWest In-network (Proud to be Serving our Military!)
• Most Insurance Accepted
We are dedicated to helping those in need.
We Work with EAP and Union Programs and Accept Most Insurance
We thank all the essential workers that continue to assist in these times!
We recognize the importance of continuing to serve our clients.