Wellness and Sober Holidays
Fun with Family, Friends, Shopping – 2020 Style
Labor Day 2020
For many, Labor Day is the last big 3 Day Weekend before the Thanksgiving holiday. Although retail and hospitality workers – as well as medical personnel and others – ‘celebrate’ Labor Day by working longer shifts.
But even for those who have to work on Labor Day – the three day weekend (Sept 5-7, 2020) is a great time for visiting with friends and family. And to participate in the traditional summer holiday activities that include cookouts and bargain shopping.
Buy why do we celebrate Labor Day?
The Origins of Labor Day
In 1894, President Grover Cleveland signed into law that Labor Day in the US would be celebrated on the first Monday in September. Labor Day originated during one of the most difficult times for American workers.
The United States in the late 1800’s was at the height of the Industrial Revolution. In order to earn a basic living, the average American worked 12 or more hours a day, seven days a week. Despite laws in some states, children as young as 5 or 6 worked in mills, factories and mines across the country. For details, see Child Labor in the Industrial Revolution.
President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a landmark bill into law in 1938: the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA). The FLSA banned child labor in America. It also established a minimum wage and overtime pay. The 7 day work week featuring 12+ hours of daily work – was replaced with a standard 8 hour work day. Regulations for safe working conditions were created.
We have made significant progress in creating a safe working environment. And that is something to celebrate!
How to Safely Socialize Labor Day 2020
There are ways to safely socialize this Labor Day weekend!
Going outdoors with fresh air and sunshine promotes wellness. Outside activities can be a priority as long as the weather cooperates. And outside activities do not need to be complicated. Walking, riding bikes, skating, picnics or swimming in an uncrowded area are all fun!
• Gather with friends or other families outside.
• Make plans to remain outside if there is bad weather.
• Wear masks when not eating.
• Keep family unit ‘bubbles’ separated by at least 6 feet.
• Make sure tables, food, condiments, eating utensils and trash containers are separated.
• Each individual or family brings their own food.
• If food is shared, separate it in advance into small containers for individual servings.
• Have a safety process in place for bathroom visits.
Shopping Online Labor Day Sales 2020
What is the most convenient way to shop in 2020 during COVID-19? Online!
Online shopping has been growing in popularity for years. And this year – more stores have moved their big holiday sales online.
Staying Sober During Holidays
Holidays are times to relax and have fun! For those recovering from alcohol and substance abuse – holidays present an additional challenge.
Can Mindfulness Help My Addiction Recovery?
Mindfulness is having the internal focus to be quietly aware of your own thoughts and impulses – without judgment and without acting on the impulses.
New Start Recovery Solutions uses a whole person approach to addiction recovery. We include mindfulness training and mindfulness relapse prevention as a part of our Northern California Evidence Based Integrated Substance Abuse Treatment program.
Mindfulness is very helpful in relapse prevention and addiction recovery. Long-term addiction recovery depends on discarding habitual behaviors to drink or drug – and engaging in new sober activities. Mindfulness meditation research has shown that mindfulness is connected with being able to process new information.
With increased self-awareness – impulsive and habitual behaviors can decrease.
Dual Diagnosis Integrated Treatment for Addiction with PTSD, Anxiety, Depression and More
We integrate Mindfulness into our dual diagnosis addiction rehab treatment. We have found that while mindfulness is easy to learn with a knowledgeable instructor – it is not an automatic behavior. However once learned, mindfulness provides a lifetime of stress relief and more.
Our evidence-based addiction treatment includes a combination of:
• Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
• Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
• Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
• Prolonged Exposure
• Mindfulness and Meditation
• Holistic Therapies and Wellness
• Educational Programs
• Family Recovery Programs
We are committed to helping those in need.
Bay Area Addiction Rehab
Addiction Treatment Northern California and the US
Bay Area, East Bay, Silicon Valley, Northern California
Dual Diagnosis Holistic Addiction Recovery
We will continue to serve our community safely. Please be assured that we are here to assist as we navigate through this challenging time!
The health and safety of our community has been, and remains, our greatest focus.
Please don’t hesitate to contact New Start Recovery Solutions Admissions department if we can be of any assistance.
New Start Recovery Solutions Current Services:
• General Outpatient Services (GOP)
• Men & Women ages 18+ for all services
• 24-hour on-site monitoring
• Residential in-patient treatment
• Conscious Recovery
• Intensive Outpatient (IOP) SUD Treatment
• Dual Diagnosis Treatment (Our Specialty)
• Partial Hospitalization (PHP) focusing on mental health therapy
• Veteran/Military PTSD Dual Diagnosis Rehab
• TriWest In-network (Proud to be Serving our Military!)
We Accept Most Insurance
• Each patient is evaluated by New Start Recovery Solutions staff and receives a biopsychosocial assessment; and an individualized treatment plan.
• We use Mindfulness Relapse Prevention and other whole person evidence-based therapies; including CBT, yoga, tai chi and more.
• If you or your loved one is located in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Bay Area, Sacramento, Chico, Paradise, Redding, Martinez or other Northern California area – and are dealing with a drug abuse or an alcohol use disorder – welcome to evidence-based whole person addiction treatment at New Start Recovery Solutions.
We thank all the essential workers that continue to assist in these times!
We recognize the importance of continuing to serve our clients.
We are a Military Addiction Recovery Center
In-network with TriWest
We Accept Most Insurance